Monday, January 26, 2015

Lubbers to Treasure to Green Turtle

Stayed at Lubbers CAy for a few days and thoroughly enjoyed short dinghy rides to Tahiti beach and nearby snorkeling and fishing.  I was unaware at the time, but there was recently a shark attack just north of Tahiti Beach involving a snorkeler looking at a stingray.  Apparently she was just in the wrong place at the wrong time and got in the way of either a Tiger or Great White (there's some DNA testing in progress in FL since they were able to retrieve a tooth from the victem's back).  The woman luckily survived, but only just.  

If I had known his story a few days prior, I probably would not have been diving for fish in this area.

After staying at Lubbers Cay for a few days, winds came out of the SE and made for a perfect 15 mile-ish sail to Treasure Cay.  

Tahiti Beach at Elbow Cay

I arrived at Treasure Cay in a few hours from Lubbers and made stops for Groceries, liquor, and laundry.  


The world-famous Treasure Cay beach.  Water was a little chilly, but the sun was hot I got in anyway for an hour or so.  


After a few days in Treasure Cay I took the Don't Rock passage north to Green Turtle Cay.  The picture above shows dont rock, and shows how shallow the area is in general (about 6-7ft in the picture).  This is where I got into trouble a few weeks ago headed to Marsh Harbour.


Once at Green Turtle, I met up with friends Brian and Caroline at Sundowners, as well as a few guys I've gone spearfishing with a few times.  One  of those guys, Tom, owns a very cool custom "Cat Schooner" named Island Girl.  I was invited aboard for a wonderful meal, played some guitar and drums, and drank a little too much.

The next morning, Brian, our friend Bruce and I went fishing and caught a couple dolphin and a small wahoo.  The smallest dolphin was sort of an appetizer-size and they were generous enough to give me the whole thing.  I spared no time in getting it to the boat and deep frying it.  Nothing like fresh fish.

Wahoo
Dolphin

Good eating.

The weather in Abaco has been generally good, with only a couple days of strong winds.  However, we are epecting westerly winds around 20-30mph for the next 48 hours at least.  This will leave all pcean cuts impassable for my little boat, and I will stay here in White Sound on Green Turtle until it is over.  Holding has been good so far so fingers crossed.

Today I went to Manjack Cay with a family visiting from Alaska.  Very cool people.  They have kindly invited me to several meals and other activities over the last couple of days.  That's one thing about being on this island.  The locals and the second home owners are ALL very kind and inviting folks.  

Will try to continue posting regularly, I don't really have a valid excuse :) 



No comments:

Post a Comment