Friday, June 6, 2014

To port St. Lucie tomorrow.

Tonight, a man from the boat docked next to mine gave me a chain necklace with a sterling medallion of St. Brendan, the patron saint of mariners.  Dumbfounded, all I could eek out was a simple "thanks".

With tears in his eyes and a broken voice he said:  "I was just thinking a while of what you are doing....it is a big deal, and a very special thing.   Throw this in a drawer, under your keel, or around your neck.  I've worn it for the last 20,000 miles and I haven't had any problems, so I hope it brings you good luck and fair winds."

This time all I got out was "Thank you so much.".   There aren't words for that moment, but I wish he could know how much it meant.  Because shit is going to get real pretty soon.

1 comment:

  1. so special. The kindness of strangers...a wonderful thing. will be pulling for you.

    ReplyDelete